Monday, October 17, 2011

The difference between in and of

I get regular email from people. Because of this blog and because of a lot of stuff I have on my website that revolves around my search for the meaning of life.

Almost always the email is from a good and kind person who just wants to help. They always offer advice by telling me about how they get deep meaning and satisfaction in their lives by giving to others, by being with family, by contributing to humanity.

This is all true. We are social creatures, community, family, love, caring and many other things give us a deep sense of meaning in our lives. But.....

But, This really isn't what I mean. I am trying to pull away the curtain, rake my fingers through the air and catch a small corner of the fabric that can't be seen, and tear it down - to gaze upon the secret that can't be known. The mystery that can't be explained. The meaning of life. 

There is a very big difference between in and of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you think that everyone is concerned with the meaning of life? I am sure that you have considered this. As you know, there are times in our lives when this search seems to be quite natural. When? Men call it the mid life crisis. In Eastern cultures, a lot of men join various religious groups to find out what it is all about. The rule is that once they have achieved the material aims then they pursue the spiritual. It reminds me of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Some people have a natural propensity to search for the meaning of life. Maybe there is something to being an old soul and I use this in a very special way. Some people are natural born philosophers who cannot find the answer in modern day philosophy. Early 20th century existentialists, religious and atheist, kept looking for the answer. There are people with various neurological disorders who seem to have a liking for these type of questions. For example, people who have seizure disorders or people with migraines, love the "meaning of life" questions. But, it does not mean that it is not a real question. It is a case of necessary but not sufficient. People who are depressed love talking about the meaning of life. There is more but one really has to know oneself. I have said enough for your to reflect on but you already have, right?