Friday, April 28, 2006

First quest?


I have been thinking a lot about what kinds of things I will do in my search for the meaning of life and maybe I have found my first sojourn. It is a short sojourn and it revolves around a painting called: Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going? It is by Paul Gauguin and it is being kept in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston Massachusetts which is within reasonable driving distance for me.

Wikipedia has an excellent explanation of this painting:
The Painting at Wikipedia

A little about Gauguin: In 1891 he sailed to the tropics to escape the european world and as he describes it "everything that is artificial and conventional" He wanted to find a simpler life "where he could live on fish and fruit."


Here are two interesting quotes by Gauguin:

In order to do something new we must go back to the source, to humanity in its infancy.

I have tried to make everything breathe in this painting: belief, passive suffering, religious and primitive style, and the great nature with its scream.

The search continues

No comments: